Thursday 30 September 2010

Tutorial : Little Girl Sling Pouch


Hello everyone! I am super excited today to participate in Mayya’s wonderful Inspire To Create series over at Sew Chic And Unique. I must say all the previous bloggers have wowed me with so many inspiring projects, and I feel very honored when Mayya invited me to participate. Please do drop by Mayya’s blog to see them, as well as all the fabulous things she blogs about.

I must confess that I am a diehard fabric fan. I hoard fabrics like crazy thus sewing is the next logical thing to do. However I wanted to more than just churning out clothes or bags. I wanted to share my passion. 

When I first started this blog, my main intention was to document my sewing for my girls so that when they grow up they could come back anytime to see what mommy sewed for them as well as read the little tid bits I wrote. I am also hoping to inspire them to be more creative and sew if they want to. 

Later, as my readers grow, I feel tremendous joy to be able to share my sewing adventure with so many wonderful people on blogville. Thank you all for stopping by and keeping me company as I step on the sewing machine pedal in this little studio of mine and blog about it :)


Today, I would like to share a tutorial on how I made this cute Sling Pouch for my girls. Let’s get started shall we? :)

First, the pattern. The pouch pattern is a simple bowl shape of approximately 6 x 5 inches you can always draw yourself. If you’d like to skip the drawing part, feel free to download my pattern here.


Use the pattern to cut 2 outer fabric, 2 lining fabric, 2 interfacing, 2 quilt batting (optional). I am quilting my outer pieces, you can skip this part if you don’t want to quilt it. In the above picture I already interfaced the outer pieces.


Next, if you are quilting the outer pieces, take the batting and the outer pieces and quilt through all layers. You can either use adhesive spray to temporarily bond it for quilting or just pin since it is such a small piece. If you're wondering this is the spray I used (I bought it at Craftworld) :


Next steps are shown in these pictures with additional steps marked in * ( the ones I forgot to take pics :P )



* Repeat with the Lining Pieces




* Turn the pieces right side out, press along the top opening, then topstitch all around, sewing the gap shut.















Now, your new sling pouch is ready to be modeled :




And perfect for storing little treasures! (It's something Aisha sewed if you're wondering and I have no idea what it is lol)


I really hope you like the tutorial and please do let me know if you try it ya?

Lastly I would like to again thank Mayya for inviting me to participate in Inspire to Create. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day! :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh Zura the pouch is wonderful thank you so much for being part of Inspire To Create!

    I bet any girl would love one or two i know mine would :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this tute Zura...Thanks.It's a bright & cheerful sling, reminds me of lollipops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute. thinking of making it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zura! I'm Lauren from Designer Blogs. I wanted to let you know that you are the winner of our September exclusive giveaway!! Please email us at info@designerblogs.com to claim your prize! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definetly goint to give it a whirl. Look at the award! My dear, you are so popular and talented, everyone notices. LOL, Mikhaila

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling tutorial! And look how your pictures pop! Very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam perkenalan...
    Hi Zura, thanks for sharing this tute. This pouch is so cute, I made one myself. Really looking for your next masterpiece ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI
    Thanks for this. One question? How did you turn the right side out from the strap pieces? I was not able to turn it as it was too small.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used a small safety pin to turn the straps. It takes a bit of work but it's doable. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  9. love the tutorial,i have 5 grandchildren so i intend to make at least one for each of them,thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for taking the time visiting and reading. I love to connect with my readers and it's wonderful to receive comments from you. I usually reply here in my blog and sometimes through email.

I really do appreciate your comments, thank you and *hugs* :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails